Friday, November 11, 2016

"the more I paint it, the more it will be mine" Georgia O'keefe Day 25 Abiquiu New Mexico Ghost Ranch

A long journey.  The first time I tried to get here was almost 40 years ago but my two tires blew and I ended up staying at Carol King's ranch.
The next time was about 25 years ago.  My vw bus engine blew up in Santa Fe and by the time they fixed it, I was out of time.
So today was a big day.   GHOST RANCH....ABIQUIU NEW MEXICO.  Home to the most famous woman artist of the 20th century, Georgia O'Keefe.

Years ago my next door neighbor, an old but beautiful Hispanic woman told me she'd been O'Keefe housekeeper in Abiquiu.  She showed me the little sketch O'Keefe made for her for a xmas gift....can you imagine what that's worth now??

Brent and I managed to drive the 6 hours from Carlsbad Caverns to Ghost Ranch today just in time to take a Landscape Tour of Ghost Ranch.  Wendy, our lovely guide, took us over the 21,000 acres Ghost Ranch and showed us so many of the places O'Keefe painted, where she lived and how she lived.  The best part was seeing the painting up against the real backdrop.



Georgia lived also in a house in Abiquiu town and I was able to get a few pix before I got kicked out...I think Georgia would've been proud of me for not backing down....that was the way she was.

The scenery on Ghost Ranch reminds me (and I'm sure, you) of home in Southern Utah but it's how she translated that to canvas that's remarkable.
No question, she was temperamental, cranky, an absolute perfectionist and a visionary far beyond anyone during her time period.

I'm just glad I finally got to see her space.  Hugs from the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment